Guidance for Parents and Carers
To all our SMJ parents and carers,
I hope this letter finds you all safe and well.
Firstly, I would like to say thank you for all of your support, understanding and kind messages over the past few days. We are all bitterly disappointed that we cannot have all of the children back in school, especially after having such a great Autumn term together. I want to remind you that, as always, SMJ is here for all of our pupils and you, our school families, during this difficult time. Please do reach out if there is something we can support you with. You can email us on email@example.com , message a member of staff on Class Dojo or call us on the main office number (found above).
I wanted to let you know how, initially, our Remote Learning will be organised. I say initially as this is an evolving situation and we want to ensure our pupils are getting the best we can offer them. Therefore, we are always keen for constructive feedback and will be seeking your views during the lockdown period so we can review and adjust our provision accordingly.
We believe it important, for continuity purposes, that our pupils try to stick to a similar timetable as they would experience in school. Therefore, we suggest, if possible, you try to follow a timetable similar to our school day as follows:
The teachers will provide you with a set of videos that will be uploaded to your child’s year group Class Dojo class page, at 8.30am each morning. These videos will:
• Introduce and set out the plan for the day
• Provide the initial teaching input for Maths
• Provide the initial teaching input for English – Writing, Reading Comprehension or SPAG
• Provide the initial teaching input/ stimulus for the afternoon learning session
• Provide a reading of the class novel for the children to listen to and enjoy.
We suggest that pupils record their work in an exercise book in written form. The school can organise an exercise book for you if you need one, and some basic resources such as pencils, etc
We ask that your child shares a picture of each of their pieces of work each day with their teacher, via their Class Dojo Portfolio. This will allow teachers to monitor learning, follow up on misconceptions when necessary and to join in celebrating the children’s achievements. Following this format, we believe, will also help our children when the time comes to transition back into our school routine.
In addition to the lesson videos and resources each day we would suggest that all children find time to:
• Read daily and sometimes discuss what they have read if this is possible.
• Learn/ practise/ test themselves on their times tables (Times Tables Rockstars can help here)
• Practise your KIRFs 3-4 times a week – little and often is best with these
• Practise their spellings (Spelling shed is available) and complete a test at the end of the week
• Take part in some physical activity at least three times a week (Joe Wicks is doing 3 P.E. lessons a week)
If your child can’t remember their logins for any of the above, please do contact the class teacher via Dojo.
The staff will also set some exciting challenges throughout lockdown for everyone to take part in and we will also be offering Collective Worship opportunities.
As I said before, thank you so much for your ongoing support – it really does make so much difference when we are all working together. Remember where we are and if you have any questions in the meantime, please do message me on Class Dojo.
Mrs Bethan Anderson