Our Maths Vision:
Mathematics is a tool for everyday life. It is a whole network of concepts and relationships which provide a way of viewing and making sense of the world. It is used to analyse and communicate information and ideas and to tackle a range of practical tasks and real life problems. It also provides the materials and means for creating new imaginative worlds to explore. Numeracy is a key life skill. Through our work at school in mathematics children will gain the knowledge and understanding to use confidently the skills needed to work within our world today.
Our Aims at St Meriadoc Junior Academy are to develop:
- An enjoyment of mathematics for all children whatever their needs, talents or cultural background via a positive attitude.
- Every individual's potential in mathematics by becoming independent, confident and logical thinkers with flexibility of mind.
- A positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- An ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- Initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment
And for parents to:
- Be actively involved in their child’s mathematical learning in school and at home.
- Help, encourage and support their children to learn all their times tables up to and including 12 x 12.
‘So teach us to number our days,
that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.’
Daily Maths sessions
Our daily Maths lessons cover all of the different areas of Maths as set out in the National Curriculum. We cover each strand, including number, shape and data using a range of teaching styles and resources.
A good set of Maths skills are essential for all of us on a daily basis. This is the ethos that drives our Maths curriculum. We encourage our pupils to look at the bigger picture - where might these Maths skills fit in to the bigger picture of life? Due to this we offer regular opportunities for the pupils to use their Maths skills in real life situations.
‘We can make our plans, but the lord determines our steps.’