At St Meriadoc Junior Academy we wish to embed a life-long love of physical activity aiming to improve overall health and wellbeing as well as using PE as a tool to underpin the school’s Christian values, sporting values and disciplines. We believe that Physical Education should be experienced in a safe and supportive environment, where children have the opportunity to brighten their lights through the progression of skills and the development of their physical and emotional development. Further, by aiming to give each child the opportunity to let their lights shine at a variety of sporting events and competitions across the year inspiring them to succeed in Physical Education and develop life skills.
- Children will receive two lessons of high quality PE teaching per week.
- The long term PE planning sets out the units that are to be covered and ensures that the National Curriculum objectives are met.
- The Get Set 4 PE scheme will be used to ensure consistency and progression through the year groups in each skill area.
- The school will offer a variety of afterschool sports clubs, or clubs that require physical activity, i.e. football, netball, biking, multi-sports.
- Specialist coaches will be invited to deliver training in some year groups, i.e. Cornish Pirates delivering rugby training in Year 3.
- Pupils from Year 5 and 6 are trained to become playground leaders and deliver engaging activities at break and lunchtimes to create an inclusive playground and the opportunity for pupils to try new skills.
- A small group of pupils from Year 6 will be appointed as Sports Leaders; they are trained and empowered to lead sports sessions in conjunction with the class teachers to build on their love of sports and develop their responsibility and confidence in leadership.
- Daily Fun Fit sessions for identified pupils to develop gross motor skills and balance and co-ordination.
- Four children from years 5 and 6 will attend specialist training at Camborne Science and International Academy to really develop their talent in this area.
- Each child will have been offered the opportunity to represent their school in a sporting event by the end of the academic year.
- Children in Year 4, 5 and 6 will participate in six weeks of swimming lessons to give them the best chance to reach the national requirement of swimming 25m before leaving primary school.
- Sports participation will be promoted throughout the school by celebrating children’s sporting successes both in and out of school.
- Active and healthy lifestyle choices will be encouraged, promoted though active learning and brain breaks.
- Children will be offered the opportunity of a residential trip which will involve taking part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- All children will take part in a week dedicated to sport and physical activity; giving the children the opportunity to try new things such as bubble football, archery and gymnastics at a specialist centre.
- All children will take part in Sports Day at Carn Brea Athletics Track.
- Pupils in year 3-5 will be given the opportunity to attend a surf day at Praa Sands with qualified coaches.
"Let your light shine…"