At St. Meriadoc we aim to provide high quality physical education for all children, delivered by confident members of staff, who are committed to engaging pupils and developing their skills in this area of the curriculum. Furthermore, we want to provide all children with the opportunity to engage in competitive sporting activities, by developing intra-school events and entering a wide range of inter-school competitions. By delivering these opportunities for our pupils, we aim to have a positive impact on their physical literacy, all-round health and confidence, while fostering a love of physical activity, which they will carry forward as they move through life.
PE develops a child’s knowledge, skill and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. A varied curriculum is in place to support this, with activities including: dance, athletics, gymnastics, games, swimming and outdoor adventure activities.
Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable children to make informed choices about physical activities throughout their lives.
Through the teaching of PE, St Meriadoc Junior intends to:
· Enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination.
· Maintain physical activity for sustained periods of time
· Encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations.
· Develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities.
· Show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance.
· Teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel/work during exercise.
· Develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
· Develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.
· Assess pupils learning, analyse and interpret the results to inform future planning and lessons.
"Let the wise hear and increase in learning…"
Proverbs 1:5 ESV