Reading is an invaluable skill and we aim to motivate our children to become confident and enthusiastic readers.
- The school environment, teachers and teaching assistants promote a positive approach to reading. We do this by sharing our own enthusiasm for literature as well as by ensuring that our class and central libraries our well-stocked, organised and welcoming.
- The Accelerated Reader Programme is used to promote, encourage and give a progressive approach to reading. We celebrate word-count progress both on an individual level and as a school.
- Weekly reading sessions often based on class novels ensure coverage of key objectives.
- Our class-based ‘star chart’ system helps to motivate children to read at home. On completion of every third star chart, children are invited to a tea-party with the headteacher during which they have fun discussing their own reading progress.
- Teachers share class novels or books with their classes and these frequently form the basis for other learning.
Listed below are the top fifty books that are recommended that your child reads. Have a look and see how many of these you can read this year. If you click on the link you can also download a checklist too. Happy reading!